QUINTOLUBRIC® 888-46 – HOT MILL ROLLING
CASE STUDY – HOT MILL ROLLING
- A UK Steel producer was implementing a modification to their passive transfer system (Kick-Out Roll), to help improve the efficiency of their operations. A high water containing hydraulic fluid was chosen to be used, however, this fluid was causing:
- Delays with the Kick-Out Roll
- Lost coils
- As a result the steel producer was interested in changing to a hydraulic fluid to eliminate these issues.
The steel producer replaced their high water containing (80% water, viscosity 46 cSt) hydraulic fluid with QUINTOLUBRIC® 888-46 fully synthetic HFD-U hydraulic fluid.
Both hydraulic fluids are classified as fire resistant hydraulic fluids. However the previous fluid contains 80% water, QUINTOLUBRIC® 888-46 is fully synthetic ester based and contains no water
Since the system was changed to QUINTOLUBRIC® 888-46:
- The reliability of the passive transfer system (Kick-Out Roll) have improved with a 65% decrease in delays directly related to the QUINTOLUBRIC® fluid in use
- There have been no lost coils
- In addition to the savings the system was far less maintenance intensive – only one pump failure that was already worn from the previous high water content fluid in use
- No other components on the system (other than filters as scheduled) have needed to be changed
- The conversion to QUINTOLUBRIC® 888-46 has supported the system running 24/7. If the equipment is not functioning correctly, the mill slows down which can result in potential losses up to 10k tonnes per week
- The density of QUINTOLUBRIC® 888-46 is 10% lower compared to the water based product, making the energy savings at least 10%